By this time, (Still in 2003) I had messed around with the program Flash a bit more. I bought a few animation books, as well as ones that were geared specifically for creating cartoons in Flash. Mind you, YouTube wasn't around yet so there weren't all the instructional videos available you can watch to learn how to do it these days. Overview Dexter and I were watching Huckleberry Hound re-runs on DVD and thought we would try something like that for the next cartoon. So we wrote this story and chopped it up in 3 parts. Concept The cartoon starts with Dexter in his "Secret Lab of Justice" below the local playground. Is he working on his new potion in the lab? Dexter working in his secret lab Nope. Just mixing some strawberry milk. Strawberry milk. Mmm. Mmm. Now that you, the viewer, have joined him, he tells you the story of his latest adventure. It's about a disgruntled toy action figure that came to life and tried to take over the world. The now...
Here is the final episode to the 3-part cartoon I made in 2003 to teach myself to animate in Flash. Overview One of the things I was beginning to learn from studying other cartoons while I was making this series, was how to edit scenes to imply something was happening without having to actually animate them. Next time you watch at a cartoon, think about that while you're watching it. You'll see it happens more than you would think. And let's face it I'm on zero budget and it's a great way to save time and effort. Almost like slight of hand, if the viewer doesn't know it's happening their brain fills in the blanks. I don't consider it cheating. It's kind of a great skill if it's done right and I wanted to learn how to do this. Concept Dexter goes back to his secret lab "to think of a plan" to defeat the giant action figure. But the giant decides to come to him instead. Now what does he do? Action figure has dexter in his clutch...
I'm taking panels from old comic books and redrawing them with my characters in place. I'm doing this to study different types of poses and layouts. I inked an colored this using the open source painting program MyPaint with my Wacom Bamboo tablet. I kept the coloring a little messy by using a large brush and let it go outside the lines to give it the effect of an old comic 4 color print.
Comments
Post a Comment